Monday, March 5, 2018

Unwitting Manchurian Candidates, Part 1

 
Once upon a time I was a hippie. And as a hippie lad, making my way through high school in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, I remember hearing people calling me and others like me “Communist pinkos.” I also recall thinking how ridiculous that sounded—to think that I was some kind of Soviet or Red Chinese agent seemed like the most absurd and unlikely thing imaginable. Mostly I just wanted to be left alone to go my own subcultural way. There were many like me, adrift in Kumbaya-land with our rebel music and assorted self-abnegation rites of liberation from squaresville.
 
Yes, we smoked pot and dabbled with other mind-altering substances. We rationalized that if the ding-bat adults around us were getting rip-roaring drunk on booze, we had a right to choose our own ways of coping too. And what was it we were trying to cope with? Mostly it was the horror and guilt of Vietnam. But it was a lot more than that too. We sensed the wrongness of things around us. We felt assaulted by a cold mindlessness that was stupid and abrasive, unhip and uncool. The altruistic among us felt the world needed more love and that we should actively try to get better at understanding each other; those oriented more to unrestrained self-indulgence just got high a lot and felt they were owed a better world. In fact, getting high, self-medicating ourselves, was about all we could do; when straight society seemed so stacked against us our best defense seemed to be to numb ourselves with something, anything, to ease the pain of our separation and alienation. In fact, that’s exactly what we were—an alien-nation-within-a-nation.
 
Again, to be called a “Communist” was so bizarre. Imagining that Communists came over here (or that home-grown, American Communists were among us) in order to agitate and steer us kids in a Communist direction seemed absolutely ludicrous. But I’m getting ahead of myself.
 
Just before starting high school, when I was 13-years old I wanted to work at River Bowl, the bowling alley behind our house. The owner was a Mr. Rodock, but we called him “Lumphead” because he had a very visible cyst on his bald head. He gave me a job application. I brought it home and was filling it out in the kitchen when I came across this question: Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party? It seemed like a really weird question. I recall asking my father about it. He laughed it off and made fun of it, as I recall, which only added fuel to my general befuddlement about the whole “Communist thing.” It seemed like that was another world somewhere far away; some stupid ideological craze that appealed to, e.g., the “VietCong.”
 
I got the job in the bowling alley and was assigned to clean each of the 50 pin-setting machines. Right after I finished cleaning the last machine, the owner told me he couldn’t keep me on because I was too young. (I looked older than I really was.) Maybe Mr. Rodock didn’t notice my age on the app—or maybe he just wanted the machines cleaned quickly and cheaply. Who knows?
 
Well, I quickly sought out another part-time job. (Of course I was now wise to the System.) There was a 7-11 further down River Road. 7-11s are franchise operations. In those days it was owned and run by the Southland Corporation located somewhere in Texas. Ice slush drinks called Slurpees were all the rage back then and unlimited free Slurpees were an employee perk. This time, when I applied to work at the local 7-11, I gave them my older brother’s name and social security number. The boss immediately handed me a price stamper and set me to work.
 
It was 1967. The boss, or franchise owner, was one Bill Herrmann: a salt-of-the-earth comedian. He had been a sergeant in the army who, I came to learn later, had been booted out for “psychological reasons.” Bill knew how to manage men and ran a tight ship. He was a master at humorous chit-chat and he had a loyal following of early morning regulars who stopped in for coffee on their way to work in D.C. They would stand around for a while so they could listen to his daily feed. It was all just good ol’ boy talk and joking around—a chummy sort of bonding talk they lobbed. But I remember feeling that it had a strange internal logic to it; there was a good-natured sensibility that emanated from pontificator Bill Herrmann and his amused sychophants. And I, too, was an admirer. He was Jonathan Winters with a tinge of Rodney Dangerfield. I loved him.
 
As the name “7-11” implies, the store opened for business at 7 AM. On the weekends, in the  mornings, once things got squared away and before many customers came in, he would counsel me in his down-home way. He would ask me questions, essentially about how I viewed the world around me—about Vietnam, women, etc., always probing. And then he’d offer unsolicited advice, sociological in nature, and hard-won from his own unvarnished life. His comebacks were priceless. Bill had what seemed like a bottomless grab-bag of sayings, phrases and jokes. Still, on the semi-serious side, he really was a keen observer of the human condition.
 
I remember one morning in particular he went on for quite some time saying how war was just all about jobs and corporate profits, and that Vietnam was nothing but a huge, distracting jobs program run by politicians for the ultimate benefit of businessmen. I had never heard anything like that before, at home or anywhere else. Bill’s no-nonsense political sensibility sent my mind reeling more than once. He helped me to see things in a simpler and very real way, instead of the sugar-coated, media-popular viewpoints that were presented as hopelessly complicated and irreconcilable. He was a homespun philosopher getting through middle age and the radically changed liberal society as best he could. And he poked fun at my leanings toward this new counter-culture that was slowly but surely claiming me.
 
And so, I would go on through high school as a socio-cultural hipster mug who, none-the-less, meant well; a superficial philosopher hippie king who embraced old ‘50s cars, and a hedonistic lifestyle that revolved around being cool and trying to get laid. I never thought that I was a Communist—never; and I never thought that my progressive views that accepted “liberation movements,” birth control and abortion, ultra-tolerant moral relativism, etc., were anything unnatural or evil.
 
At least I knew what it was to work. I always liked to work. And, as described above, I would experience countervailing notions to my family’s own “progressivism” by being out in the workforce.
 
On my mother’s side, my grandfather grew up as a farm boy, but studied engineering and then went out and made something of himself as a business entrepreneur. He and my grandmother were frugal. They scrimped and saved and eventually my grandfather was able to retire at 55. His main occupation from then on was carefully watching his investments in the stock market while continuing to live a frugal life. Both grandparents were simple and sensible folks. The lessons my grandfather learned along the way made him a life-long, conservative Republican. He was also a practicing Catholic.
 
A favorite aunt, my mother’s sister, was also imbued with strong conservative and Catholic convictions. Aunt Janet was another force that helped me question the whole liberal shooting gallery that most young people in society were buying into whole hog.
 
Thus, I had some strong traditionalist influences along the rocky road of misadventure upon which I had already set my sights.
 
As I groped my way up the ladder of education and work experience, I never heard of the “community organizer” (i.e., Communist) Saul Alinksy. But the counter-culture taught me to admire “revolutionaries” such as Che Guevara and Abbie Hoffman, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Eldridge Cleaver. Even brainwashed Patty Hearst exuded a sort of romantic rebel aura. These, and of course our beloved rock musicians and certain Hollywood and TV actors, were supposed to be and were our new heroes.
 
But I never, ever wanted to be a Communist. To me, anyone identifying as a Communist was an idiot embracing a failed system. Of course, I was quick to critique my own Western capitalistic model as defective too, but not irredeemably so as with Communism, which was antithetical to liberty from the get-go. No, capitalism was humanity’s natural economic inclination and should be fostered and protected, if need be, by regulation. Individuals had the unalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; to property. That was firmly engrained in my mind then and remains so today.
 
Even so, for years to come there remained an unresolved, on-the-fence attitude toward conservatism and tradition. My psyche seemed to be a jumbled composite of all sorts of stuff. For over 50 years I remained “progressively”-oriented overall with just a healthy dash of skepticism. Never one to embrace extremes, it seemed more prudent to stay in a limbo-like, middle-of-the-road socio-cultural and political state of mind. Slowly, however, I began to notice how I was being manipulated.
 
Since the ‘60s I had been at least dimly aware of the covert activities of our own intelligence agencies, especially the CIA. Like many others, by the ‘70s I too began hearing about its nefarious mind-control programs, never quite making the connection it had with the System, particularly the media. In those days I was still a TV watcher. But as I weaned myself away from TV my mind began to heal itself. I soon began to question everything that I had been taught to believe about the world and reality—except for the nature of Communism, that is. The trouble was, I only knew the kind of overt Communism that’s shown on TV and in the movies, and was much less sensitized to its more subtle aspects (often referred to as “cultural Marxism”). But I was waking up. Good Lord, was I waking up…(to be continued)  

 

No comments: